California Governor Gavin Newsom said in April 2020 that the state "is going to do the right thing, not judge by politics, not judge by protests, but by science."
However as new scientific evidence continues to emerge, it is becoming clear that the mathematical projections used by government officials and the media to model the potential threat of infections and death due to COVID-19, especially here in California, will likely turn out being tremendously exaggerated and grossly overestimated. This raises the question over the rational being used by those who defend and promote the COVID-19 lockdown, masks, and social-distancing mandates.
Classic Man-Bites-Dog Story In The Making?
"There's some sort of mob mentality here operating that they just insist that this has to be the end of the world, and it has to be that the sky is falling. It's [this mentality is] attacking studies with data based on speculation and science fiction. But dismissing real data in favor of mathematical speculation is mind-boggling."
-Dr. John Ioannidis, MD, lead researcher on new study that exposes hypothetical COVID-19 fatality projections
A recent study on the rate of COVID-19 infection in Santa Clara County suggests the true number of COVID-19 infections could be between 50 to 85 times higher than the number of reported ones. This implies that the overall fatality rate is between 0.1%- 0.2% percent of people infected by the virus will die, making COVID-19 no more infectious or deadly than the common seasonal flu.
According to the lead scientist of the Santa Clara study, Stanford University's Dr John Ioannidis, MD, "There's some sort of mob mentality here operating that they just insist that this has to be the end of the world, and it has to be that the sky is falling. It's [this mentality is] attacking studies with data based on speculation and science fiction. But dismissing real data in favor of mathematical speculation is mind-boggling."
Dr Ioannidis largely blames the media for helping to promote the current "heavily panic driven, horror-driven, death-reality-show type of situation." The most troubling concern is that he believes the damage being caused by the current global socioeconomic lockdown will very likely have far more serious implications on human health and wellbeing than without it.
You can watch an extended video interview with Dr Ioannidis below where he provides in depth rational and data on the topic:
Dr Ioannidis' perspective makes it difficult to argue against the point that the threat of COVID-19 has been grossly overexagerrated and mass media is playing a large role in promoting a false narrative.
As we continue sorting out the factual details of the COVID-19 pandemic, be sure not to let your emotions get swept away by stories in the media. Spend less time watching TV or on your handheld devices and computers, and instead learn to meditate and clear your mind of excess non-sense so you can focus on keeping your health and wellbeing in tact.
- Atlas, S. (2020). The data is in — stop the panic and end the total isolation. The Hill. Retrieved from https://thehill.com/opinion/healthcare/494034-the-data-are-in-stop-the-panic-and-end-the-total-isolation .
- Bendavid, E., et. al. (2020). COVID-19 Antibody Seroprevalence in Santa Clara County, California. medRxiv. Retrieved from https://www.medrxiv.org/content/early/2020/04/17/2020.04.14.20062463.full.pdf .
- Finley, A. (2020). The Bearer of Good Coronavirus News: Stanford scientist John Ioannidis finds himself under attack for questioning the prevailing wisdom about lockdowns. Wall Street Journal. Retrieved from https://www.wsj.org/articles/the-bearer-of-good-coronavirus-news-11587746176 .
- Ioannidis, J.P.A. (2020). A fiasco in the making? As the coronavirus pandemic takes hold, we are making decisions without reliable data. STAT. Retrieved from https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/17/a-fiasco-in-the-making-as-the-coronavirus-pandemic-takes-hold-we-are-making-decisions-without-reliable-data/ .
- Ioannidis, J.P.A. (2020). Coronavirus disease 2019: The harms of exaggerated information and non‐evidence‐based measures. Eur J Clin Invest, 50: e13222. doi:10.1111/eci.13222 . Retrieved from https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/eci.13222 .
- Ioannidis, J.P.A., et. al. (2020). Population-level COVID-19 mortality risk for non-elderly individuals overall and for non-elderly individuals without underlying diseases in pandemic epicenters. medRxiv. doi:10.1111/eci.13222 . Retrieved from https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.05.20054361v1 .
- Moreno, J.E. (2020, April 18). Newsom tells protestors he won't be swayed by politics. The Hill. https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/493517-newsom-tells-protestors-he-wont-be-swayed-by-protests